Very Bad Dreams

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 1 2009 | Verified Purchase

First off, this is a review for 5 HTP in general and not necessarily the NOW version of it. NOW is a good brand and I recommend it. 5 HTP works great for some and for others it's not so good. I was on Lexapro for 6 months because I'm so prone to anxiety attacks. It helped a little but the side effects were too much. So I stopped Lexapro and started 5 HTP. During the day I could immediately feel the difference. I felt lighter and less troubled. But the nights were awful. It did not help me to sleep (I also suffer from insomnia) and the entire night I suffered with horrid dreams. Normally I have lovely dreams. But from the 5 HTP I would awake feeling like I hadn't slept because my mind was super active during the night. Last night I finally slept peacefully again because I went without it. Perhaps 50mg would be better than 100mg but they are capsules and I can't exactly break them. If I had purchased it locally at a health food store I could return the rest of the bottle. But from iherb you cannot return it once it's been opened. Be sure not to order a large quantity if you are uncertain whether or not how it will affect you.

Not very effective.

Posted by iHerb Customer on November 17 2011 | Verified Purchase

This doesn't help me to sleep whether I take it 30mins, one hour or one and a half hours before my sleep. The closer to my bedtime I take it, the more likely I will taste a bitterness in the back of my throat after I lie down on the bed for a while. I really wanted it to work.

I didn't get good results with NOW.

Posted by iHerb Customer on December 20 2007 | Verified Purchase

I've used 3 different brands of 5-HTP and I got wonderful results from two of the three. NOW was the one I didn't like because I didn't get anything from it. I took Solaray and Vita-Herb brands and they both have helped tremendously with my anxiety. I personally don't recommend NOW's 5-HTP.

I feel MORE depressed taking this!

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 14 2008 | Verified Purchase

I started taking the full capsule when I received my shipment. I took it at bedtime and it kept me up all night with rapid heartbeat! I tried to open the capsule and take just a little bit each night and sometimes during the day for about a week. I noticed i felt REALLY depressed and irritable. I do not recommend this product.

Disappointed....

Posted by iHerb Customer on April 9 2008 | Verified Purchase

I am taking this along with GABA and L-Theanine to help me sleep - but it is not working.

Side Effects

Posted by iHerb Customer on January 4 2011 | Verified Purchase

I have been taking 5-HTP - one a day - and have been experiencing side effects...gas and bloating. I eliminated other supplements one by one and it was not until I stopped taking 5HTP that my symptoms disappeared. It sometimes helped me with sleeping but the effects kept me up anyway. I find many other side effects from research on the internet and wish I had taken time to do so besides reading the reviews on iHerb.

Didn't work for me

Posted by iHerb Customer on February 22 2010 | Verified Purchase

After reading many reviews, I thought this would be great to treat my Seasonal Affective Disorder depression and anxiety. I followed the directions and only took 1 pill before bedtime. I still woke in the middle of the night and then feel drowsy throughout the whole day. Make sure you read about side effects and possible dangers before taking.

Could not tolerate it.

Posted by iHerb Customer on May 22 2013 | Verified Purchase

Caused severe stomach problems. Tried to take every other day and I still couldn't tolerate it.

Doesn`t work

Posted by iHerb Customer on March 9 2012 | Verified Purchase

I have major depressive disorder and this stuff absolutely doesn`t work. I have just nausea and vivid dreams :(.

drowziness

Posted by iHerb Customer on March 4 2009 | Verified Purchase

hi from sweden everything with iherb went perfect and i will continue order from the company, good job iherb. now to the 5-htp.. it made me feel drowzy, tired and sick to my stomach, also i small increase in heartrate. i tok 200mg now i have to take 100 every morning, i will give it a couple of weeks and then quit if it doesnt get better.

1 2 3